Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Video Game Reviews

One of my goals for this blog is to give my own personal review of video games.

Why would I want to do that? Mainly because I tend to read a lot of reviews for games, and while I don't feel that all review sites out there are bad... It's just that sometimes I tend to not agree with them. Or, even if I do agree with a review a gaming site/magazine gave a game... it may not always be for the same reasons given in those reviews.

That... and I just think that writing game reviews is a ton of fun.

Now... when I review a game (either PC or Xbox 360, and in the very rare case Wii... I don't do PS3) I will rate the game from 1-10 based upon the following categories:

Eye-Candy, which is graphics... plain and simple. I'll rate the game on how good (or bad) does the game look? Does it have any awesome graphical styles/features that I want to call out? Do the characters look like they could step out of the TV, or do they look like Pac-Man sprouted legs? etc.. This category is all about how easy (or hard) this game is on the eyes.

Polish, things that fall under this category would be the "technical" stuff about the game. Things like bugs/glitches (if any), load times, how smoothly the game runs, and how easy the menus are to navigate, etc.. If it sounds "technical" in regards to development... it'll probably be included in this.

Control. Do the characters/cars/tanks/other things you control in the game control so well you keep telling them to "get outta your head Charles..." or does it feel like it'd be easier to get your cat to go take a bubble bath than getting the game to do what you want?

Geek Factor, which is essentially how "fun" the game was. Is this entirely based on my own opinion? You bet. Will the number of "Holy $#!%" moments I have while playing the game have an impact on this rating? You better believe it. Can things from the other categories impact this rating? Absolutely, if I feel they impact the overall "fun" of the game. This category is all about my personal experience playing the game. If I had a blast playing it, it'll likely get a high rating. Since video games are meant to be fun, this category carries the most weight.

Redux, or in other words... the replay value of the game. Is there any reason for me to come back and play this game again after I beat it? Does it have a multi-player mode that keeps me coming back for more?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to play every single game out there... so the reviews you see here will (obviously) be only for the games I actually play. Will you see reviews for many sports games here? Probably not, since I usually can't stand them.

I should have my first couple reviews up very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment